Saturday, September 03, 2005

Exaltation

First off, has anyone here heard of Matisyahu?

Born Matthew Miller, he's a Haisidim who has made a name as an uber-talented reggae singer.... Check him out and give him a listen. I'm a huge fan and was thrilled to bits to hear Matis on the fabulously Philly-based (like me) World Cafe yesterday. (The curious might enjoy knowing that I once got so deeply into the reggae scene I honestly almost went Rasta. What joyous days those were....)

I mention all this as Loggia denizen and fellow Matis fan Greg Popcak -- inventor of the phrase "The New Virtual Ecclesiology" -- has started a Podcast to get his daily radio goods to a wider audience.... Do yourself a favor and check it out.

***************************

I'm still getting used to the fact that when I ask a question, even a rhetorical one, one (or many) readers comes to my aid and answers it. It literally blows my mind every time -- and may that newness of feeling remain with me always.

Yesterday, I rhetorically entitled a post, "What's 'Cardinal-Nepos' in Gaelic?"

Now, to get everyone up to speed, "Cardinal-Nepos" ("Nepos" meaning "nephew") was the title given the figure in the papal court who eventually came to be known as the Secretary of State... This was because Popes often named their relatives to the early Curia's top job, a history that gave nepotism its name.

I asked the question, of course, because of the furious buzz that the archbishop of Dublin, Diarmuid Martin, is being heavily tipped to succeed Sodano at the head of a (very) streamlined San Damaso.

Little did I expect an answer... You can imagine my pleasant surprise when commentor Banshee wrote in:
If you're being literal, "Cairdinéal-Nia", presumably.

If you just want "secretary of state" (or in this case, "minister of foreign affairs" it's: "Aire Gnóthaí Eachtracha".
Go raibh maith agat!

-30-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home