Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Freakness Stakes

So I spent the evening at my beloved alma mater, doing my service to the academy and all... It was luscious and it's always good to get back to dear old Penn. I am so proud to be its son.

Jamie at Ad Limina
wants to pick a fight with your humble writer because I enjoy treating my readers like stakeholders and keeping you snowflakes informed as to the progress of this outlet and my own work covering things Catholic -- that said, please remember the guitar case.... Jamie made a good faith promise that he'd never stoop to such depths. Well, in turn, here's my good faith promise: I will never, EVER, describe a bishop as "a hulking beast of a man, with shoulders as broad as a gorilla and a frat boy haircut, and a glance that lets you know he could kill you in less than three seconds."

Who did that, you may ask? Why, coincidentally enough, it was Jamie at Ad Limina....

Jamie will be happy to know that the counter for today has already exceeded 2,000 hits, hurtling past 60K on the whole. As if I needed further reason to send a thanks card and some flowers to The Great Ted, our real-deal, orthodox hero.... To quote Molly Ivins for the millionth time, "his manners are so much better than those of anyone who's ever trashed him, it's a monument to his momma." (She was talking about Bill Clinton, but weren't conservatives hell-bent on destroying him out of jealousy, too?)

Because he's so good, and to celebrate the pope's vote of confidence in him -- and because there are many pretenders, but only one Ted -- I think I'm just gonna start calling McCarrick "Elvis."

Comment of the day honors go to Fr. John, who said:
"I will be obedient and respectful to the bishop as long as he does what I want him to do and as long as he agrees with me." Someday, one of the detractors will have the courage to say this.
Well, until that day comes, their actions are saying more than enough.

-30-

1 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Blosser said...

Jeff: Do you really not get that it was done publicly, affectionately, and in a spirit of fun?

As his brother, I can vouch that the comment was indeed in a spirit of fun . . . Blossers have a weird and eclectic sense of humor. After all, his dad's blog made the international papers the day after the conclave by boasting "I love the smell of napalm in the morning." Hang out with us long enough and you'll understand. Blosser-humor is an an "acquired taste," much like our dear Rocco Palmo. =)

Not to start an Ad Limina / Whispers feud or anything, but the presence of a sitemeter doesn't necessarily indicate the owner's preoccupation with popularity.

Speaking from personal experience, it also serves to track referrals -- a convenient indicator of who's reading your blog, discovering like-minded bloggers and related discussions. In the long run, you'll learn to appreciate the quality of your readership far more than quantity.

9/9/05 01:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home