Monday, September 12, 2005

Farewell, Fair Bonnet

Give it one last look, darlings.... Say goodbye.

With the coup de grace ensuring that never again will a Pope be compared to Marge Simpson, the last word for now belongs to the church's great treasure, Maestro Marini (my translation):
The initiative of a Pontiff has dismissed, in the spirit of the II Vatican Council, the use of a head-covering, the tiara, made for many centuries into an expression an sign of a conjoined temporal and religious papal power which is now happily outdated. The tiara has become a museum object, leaving its place to the mitre, a more apt way of expressing not power but the episcopal service, which speaks today of the necessity of a Church in continual purification from earthly temptations, that it may shine forth uniquely in the world as a sign of the power of the Spirit.
When I meet Marini, I'll be very faux trad and kiss the man's shoes. All truth, all the time.

PHOTO: Tiara of Bl. Pius XI (1846-78)

-30-

8 Comments:

Blogger Animadversor said...

Yes, Rocco, we know that the triregnum can't touch the mitre for antiquity—that's why we loved it so much, for the air of modernity and progressivism it lent the papacy. Mitres, by comparison, are just so, well, mediaeval's the only word for it if you ask me.

By the way, isn't that the tiara the Blessed Pius IX wore when he was eating his Syllabub of Errers?

One-hundred ninety-seven out of 2700 dioceses. Who says it isn't all about us?

12/9/05 22:26  
Blogger Animadversor said...

As much as I loved John Paul, I always suspected that some of the infelicities one saw at his liturgies were to be laid at his feet rather than Marini's.

12/9/05 22:29  
Blogger Paul Goings said...

Now, granted that I'm only an ignorant Episcopalian, but since the advent of the reign of H.H. Benedict the XVI brought the return of the pallium in a form unused for many years, why is it impossible--however unlikely--that the tiara could be restored at some point in the future?

Paul Goings

12/9/05 22:58  
Blogger Animadversor said...

I hope no one will interpret my previous post to mean that I do not stand 95% with Marco. I am hoping that, when the weather in Rome gets cold and wet, Benedict will follow the lead of Blessed John XXIII of happy and glorious memory and complete the restoration of the sacred camauro.

13/9/05 00:16  
Blogger Animadversor said...

So what are you saying, Gyrovagus?

13/9/05 00:17  
Blogger Animadversor said...

And Marco, I hate to be the one to point this out to you—not that that's stopping me—but it's unum flabellum, duo flabella or maybe, especially to Rocco, perhaps, un flabello, due flabelli, but never is it flabellae.

Άναθηματίζω σε.

13/9/05 00:44  
Blogger JWY said...

While I'm all for beatifying Achille Cardinal Ratti, as was said above, you should fix your photo credit to say "Pius IX", not "Pius XI".

13/9/05 01:31  
Blogger F. S. Poesy said...

Does this mean we are going to be seeing a bunch of tiara's for sale real cheap on eBay now? I hope so, because that would be the perfect addition to the costume I'm planning for the parish Halloween Beef & Beer!

13/9/05 09:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home