Friday, June 17, 2005

The Senator Against the Tank

Great insight from John Danforth -- former Republican governor of and senator from Missouri, Episcopal priest -- in today's NYTimes:

In the decade since I left the Senate, American politics has been characterized by two phenomena: the increased activism of the Christian right, especially in the Republican Party, and the collapse of bipartisan collegiality. I do not think it is a stretch to suggest a relationship between the two. To assert that I am on God's side and you are not, that I know God's will and you do not, and that I will use the power of government to advance my understanding of God's kingdom is certain to produce hostility.
By contrast, moderate Christians see ourselves, literally, as moderators. Far from claiming to possess God's truth, we claim only to be imperfect seekers of the truth. We reject the notion that religion should present a series of wedge issues useful at election time for energizing a political base. We believe it is God's work to practice humility, to wear tolerance on our sleeves, to reach out to those with whom we disagree, and to overcome the meanness we see in today's politics.

As I've said before of others, a business where someone like Jack Danforth is seen as some kind of raving, free love hippie isn't just conservative, it's fascist.

-30-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home