Thursday, February 23, 2006

Pietà, Signore....

You know, I keep kicking myself that I didn't write Whispers under a pseudonym. I really do. But then, never did I delude myself into thinking that, in 14 months' time, the daily readership would go from three (as in 2 + 1) to 8,000. An ideal readership of, say, twelve (as in 10 + 2) was always what I had happily in mind. Not this. Just know that.

That said, I received an e.mail yesterday from this city's all-news station, the legendary KYW1060, asking for an interview about my least favorite topic -- i.e. myself -- and my favorite topic -- i.e. my work. I've written about KYW and its place in our community here in the past, and as the piece has been running through the morning, the calls and e.mails have been flooding in.

Yeah, that NYTimes piece really did make a dent. And, no, I am not worthy. And, yes, the words "Woe to you when all speak well of you" do remain ever before me, so know that I'm grateful for those who don't.

There is still a big part of your humble scribe, however, that wouldn't mind slinking away and becoming the bland desk jockey I was supposed to be all along.... Well, as bland as I could muster, of course, but you get the idea.

-30-