Sunday, January 15, 2006

Laptop Update

At long last, Loggiaheads, greetings from the New Laptop.

Alas, it'll go down in history as New Laptop Numero Uno. (Numero Dos if you count the one I had ordered but didn't receive as UPS sent it to the wrong address two weeks back.) Houston, we have a problem... Yet again....

Methinks your humble narrator is jinxed.

So it arrived Friday at noon. As they say you should do to get the most bang out of the battery, I charged it without powering up for 12 hours.

It was like a mini-Lent.

At midnight on the 14th, as the appointed time of confinement had passed and to avoid the Friday the 13th superstitions of doom, it was turned on. And I quickly discovered that, as it wasn't picking up the Loggia House Wi-Fi, that the internal wireless card that was supposed to be included wasn't.

Horrors.

I could bore and outrage you all with stories of being bounced around on 14 hours of phone time with customer care, but I won't. A few well-placed calls have seemingly put resolution on a fast track, and it seems New Laptop Numero Dos -- Numero Tres if you count the one I had ordered but didn't receive as UPS sent it to the wrong address two weeks back -- will be on its way in short order. Once that's all worked out, and the company's had its chance to redeem itself, I'll tell all. It's only fair.

I'm sitting in the office right now, tethered to a wire, the exact thing this whole exercise was intended to avoid. But this is the way it'll have to be, at least for the next few days. Pray for my continued patience, please.

Blogging and e.mailing will proceed as the tetheredness allows. It is nice to get a feel for the machine, though -- it's solid, and I'm getting used to the keyboard.... But, suffice it to say, it's all got a very Laetare Sunday feeling to it.

Buona domenica a tutti!

-30-