Thursday, September 08, 2005

Elvis Speaks

This week's Catholic Standard -- the paper of the archdiocese of Washington -- is posted, and our Loggia Hero of the Week addresses his extension some more in his weekly Thinking of You....

Column's called "A Time to Stay":
A short while ago, I received from the Apostolic Nuncio, Archbishop Montalvo, the reply of His Holiness Pope Benedict to my letter of early July submitting my resignation as Archbishop of Washington according to the norms of Canon Law of the Church.

The Apostolic Nuncio informed me that the Holy Father would like me to continue in my present post of service to the Church of Washington for some time longer until other provisions are made. It seems as if Pope Benedict is disposed to have me stay on as Archbishop of Washington probably for another two years or so.

There's been a lot of quibbling from those disappointed parties about the "two years or so" timeframe, but he wouldn't keep saying it if he didn't have it on solid authority. Doesn't anyone other than me realize that McCarrick is actually smart -- that he's amazingly bright? He wouldn't be where he is if he weren't.

Our Elvis reiterates he would've had no problem leaving:

As I think you know, I would have been happy to receive the pope's decision to accept my resignation at this time. He has decided otherwise, and therefore I ask your prayers that I may commit myself more willingly and more effectively to your service in the years ahead. As I've said to you on several occasions in the past, when a bishop comes to a new diocese, he considers what the situation ought to be when he leaves. Will the people have enough priests to care for their needs, and will the priests have enough resources to do that effectively with the help of God? That is why I have tried to work vigorously for vocations and why the Forward in Faith campaign is so important for the future of this local Church.
Forward in Faith... That sounds suspiciously conservative Anglican -- you know, those people who are more Catholic than the lot of us.

And a nice reminder of what's important for the close:
In the time that is left for me to be your pastor, let us come back to what has always been our first priority, sometimes unspoken but always present - the need to call ourselves and our people to holiness. Everything we do must have that as its goal. In the years ahead, may it become more clear that this is what we are all about.
For the million-and-eighteenth time, God love Ted McCarrick.

-30-

4 Comments:

Blogger Fr Martin Fox said...

It seems like one obvious explanation of the holy father's decision is that he doesn't have anyone clearly ready to take this see; and if that's the case, about the only thing you can read in these "tea leaves" is that Pope Benedict doesn't hate Cardinal McCarrick. I guess I see less meaning in this than others do.

8/9/05 18:13  
Blogger Dad29 said...

Agree, Fr. Fox.

It's also likely that any new CDF documents will be sent to more, ah, reliable Bishops in the USA for dissemination.

Otherwise, Magister will have a job for years!

8/9/05 19:38  
Blogger Todd said...

The meaning is more to be discerned in the commentary on it. Crunchy cons are in dismay. They've set themselves up for a loss on this one. If only they minded their own business and didn't try to set up as an Alternate All-Knowing Magisterium.

8/9/05 23:02  
Blogger Todd said...

The meaning is more to be discerned in the commentary on it. Crunchy cons are in dismay. They've set themselves up for a loss on this one. If only they minded their own business and didn't try to set up as an Alternate All-Knowing Magisterium.

8/9/05 23:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home