11 Booted in Chicago
Eleven priests suspected of sexual misconduct with minors have been permanently removed from public ministries, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago said Monday.SNAP -- whose Philadelphia representative was ill-briefed on Marcel Maciel (the Biggest Abuse Case of All) earlier in the evening -- still isn't satisfied
The men are banned from presenting themselves as priests, engaging in a public ministry or acting as an agent of the archdiocese, although they have not been removed from the priesthood, said Chancellor Jimmy Lago, who declined to disclose specific allegations or the priests' names or parishes.
"I think that this begrudging, long overdue action, while it might bring some relief to the victims who have been abused and wounded in the Archdiocese of Chicago, I believe it does not relieve Cardinal George of his responsibility," said Barbara Blaine, president of the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests. "There's 11 known child molesters out there that are not going to be found on any sex offender registries."OK, so if these guys were laicized, they'd have no oversight and would be released into the general population. And SNAP thinks that's the healthy thing to do?
Good God, people. We really do have a long way to go.