Wednesday, June 01, 2005

A Clarification

I've gotten some e.mails about the papal books -- thanks to everyone for being so observant, and to the Fair Amy for the shout-out.

When I made mention of the decision on the contracts, I explicitly noted "those already under contract elsewhere," without saying that those agreements had been revoked. Simply, I stuck to the message that the pope's agent is now the LEV.

But as the Libreria is the papal publishing house and now holds the rights to all the Ratzinger works, while existing arrangements will stand, the curiosity in Ratzinger/B16 is now such that many works seen as too esoteric to be published before have a new market because of their author, and LEV will probably run all new publications from the Ratzi Collection under their own imprint. They did a marvelous job as sole publisher of the Catechism a decade ago -- the type was flawless, the packaging strong and refined. Good stuff.

*******************

Once upon a time, one of my professors said of politics, "It attracts three kinds of people: the brilliant, the committed, and the insane." I've learned over the years that the same is true of religion... Fortunately, most of the people I've met hailed from the first two groups.

But now, I'm getting threats. I didn't get into this business to become a target for the deranged, but that's what has happened.

Sometimes, or more than just sometimes, we disagree with each other. But even when we don't see eye to eye, at least we have a degree of civility and mutual respect -- because that's what civilized people do. Even when we disagree, at least most of the time, we still build bridges and not walls, remembering that reaching ever outward is the best practice of religion.

And then there are those who seek to use the great power of faith to divide, to intimidate, to manipulate, to threaten, to attack. Those who talk about "blowing covers" when they themselves are hidden in their own ignorance, fear and pain. We all suffer when wounds of this kind are inflicted on the one body, so let us together pray for their healing.

But beyond this, however much each of you may not see eye to eye with me, please stand with me, showing those who seek harm that belief is stronger than intimidation -- and that we're not going anywhere.

God love you all.

-30-

1 Comments:

Blogger Disgusted in DC said...

Sorry to hear this, Rocco. Sounds like the CWNEWS peanut gallery at work. Please remember that sometimes it isn't insanity, it's deliberate and willful malice.

I must say that I find especially endearing those Christian works of charity that I have receiveed over the years which run along these lines:

"Dear &*#@! apostate,

How dare you express XYZ opinion. Sin, obviously, has darkened your intellect, and I can tell that {unprintable sin} must be the particular vice responsible for your heresy. I know where you live and work, and where your {random family member} lives and works. Your salvation is in danger. Therefore, I must inform {said family member or employer} what a scumbag you are because of your predilection for {unprintable sin}.

All my love in Christ,

{Name Deleted}"

1/6/05 21:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home