Tuesday, October 16, 2007

"If I Err, Correct Me"

Translation of John Paul II's first public remarks post-election, 16 October 1978:
Praised be Jesus Christ.

Dear brothers and sisters,

We all remain heartbroken after the death of our beloved Pope John Paul I. Yet here, the Eminent Cardinals have called forth a new bishop of Rome. They've called him from a far country... far, but always close in the communion of the faith and in the Christian tradition. I was fearful at receiving this nomination, but I do so in the spirit of obedience to our Lord Jesus Christ and in total trust of his Mother, our Most Blessed Lady.

I don't know that I can explain myself well in your -- in our Italian tongue. If I err, you better correct me! And so I present myself to you, to confess our common faith, our hope, our trust in the Mother of Christ and of the Church, so to begin again along this road of history and of the Church with the help of God and the help of men.
-30-