Thursday, February 16, 2006

Let He Who Is Without Sin Cast the First Stole

So I've gotten a fair number of e.mails from people screaming at me about Archbishop Niederauer's Slabbinck set yesterday, with particular venom reserved for the overlay stole.

You'll have to forgive my puzzlement -- I'm not the director for Worship of the archdiocese of San Francisco. But thanks for telling me how you feel.

However, if you seek to take this line of outrage to its logical fulfillment, be wise to remember that, as prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, the man pictured at left is the Roman official charged with guarding the church's liturgical customs and enforcing its laws.

And, if you really want to be picky, it should be a red cassock underneath that alb, thank you very much.

-30-