Saturday, December 17, 2005

You Are Now Entering the (Episcopal) Twilight Zone

The Indianapolis Star's headline says that Archbishop Daniel Buechlein, OSB, of Indianapolis "Speaks Up" in today's paper... But, curiously enough, he doesn't really say much of anything.

Some snips:

On homosems: "You've seen my statement (issued Nov. 29) and I'm not going any further."
On the criticism that prelates don't interact enough with gay people: "I don't. I mean, obviously, I probably do and don't even know it. But I'm not going to go there."
On a civil case: "Really, because we are in litigation, I can't talk about that case."
On the teaching of intelligent design in public schools: "I have no business saying what should happen in public schools."
On torture: "I don't know enough to know what is true and what is false (about the current practice by American forces). I don't think it is clear whether there is or there isn't torture."
On the Colts' potential for a perfect season (for non-Americans, that's football parlance for 16 wins, no losses): "We've got a really good shot at it, but I don't want to put a jinx on it."

Good God. "Speaks up"? There's no there there.

Well, he did "speak up" about one thing: coming to the defense of the archdiocesan lawyer who was the point-person for outreach to victim-survivors of abuse. Buechlein calling SNAP criticism of her "a slam against attorneys."

That said, it's still the wishy-washiest thing I have ever seen in my life.

-30-