Thursday, December 01, 2005

Medina: "I Wanted Old Offertory"

In a recent interview with the French magazine Present, the retired prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline seemed to say many interesting things -- I wouldn't know as I don't read French and my French desk is hard at work.... But here is one thing in a discussion about the degree of difficulty involved in the rendering of the Third Edition of the Roman Missal that has emerged:
I must say that there are certain prayers of the old rite, in particular the prayers of the offertory, which seem to me to be of really extraordinary richness, and which one should have preserved, at least, in my opinion, as an alternative. I attempted to do this at the time of the publication of the third edition of the Roman missal, but I encountered rather strong opposition... and I had to give it up.
OK, let the demonization of everyone who gave Medina "strong opposition" begin.

-30-