Friday, October 21, 2005

It's Been 20 Hours and Earth Hasn't Yet Imploded

Well, here he is....
"I'm a Roman Catholic priest and I'm gay."

With that confession, 63-year-old Karl Clemens became the first priest in Canada to openly declare his homosexuality.

Clemens - a priest for 33 years who retired from the Kingston diocese seven years ago - now lives in Toronto, calling Church Street in the city's gay village his parish.

"I don't have a parish," Clemens told 360 Vision in a documentary that aired last night on VisionTV. "My parish is the street - the highways, the byways, the bars."

Clemens, who wears a priest's collar and says mass every day in his living room, said he is celibate.

"If I were any more celibate, I don't know that I'd be alive," Clemens said, recalling a joke he once told a bishop.

Did anyone see this unfold last night? Any impressions?

-30-

1 Comments:

Blogger Disgusted in DC said...

I was kind of hoping that the celibate gay priest was a crashingly boring priest in an unremarkable and mediocre parish. Too bad that he turned out to be a bohemian priest, which if one thinks about it, is the sort of priest most likely to publicly come out of the closet in an overly-theatrical way.

21/10/05 14:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home