Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A Courageous Shepherd

From the CWNews tracker, Archbishop Raymond Roussin of Vancouver has announced that he has clinical depression and is taking an extended leave.

This is not the first time it's happened (it happens more often that you'd think), but it is the first time such a leave has been publicly disclosed. As he wrote in his announcement,
My doctor is confident I will make a full recovery if I take the time I need now, which is what I intend to do. Although this is a personal medical matter, I have decided to be frank with you in order to help remove some of the stigma that is often wrongly and unfortunately associated with depression. It is an illness and it is treatable.
Here's hoping Roussin's candor and courage in making his struggle public will bring some needed attention and discussion about the heretofore verbeoten issue of the mental health of priests and bishops. To that end, and for his return and complete recovery, he's got my heartfelt prayers.

-30-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home