Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Sartorial Fabulousness

While trolling around for news, I found a cute, fun story originally from the Chicago Tribune and run on the Trib wire:
Before visiting the White House, Kate Darmody carefully planned her outfit. She bought a sundress from Ann Taylor. She put on a strand of white pearls.

And then she slipped on flip-flops to meet the president. So did about half of her teammates from the national championship Northwestern University women's lacrosse team, invited to the White House last Tuesday after a 21-0 season.

She didn't think twice about the footwear until she got an e-mail - in all capital letters -from her brother.

"YOU WORE FLIP-FLOPS TO THE WHITE HOUSE????!!!!" he wrote after checking out the picture on the team's website.

Heh, I guess it's the twenty-something in me, or the metrosexual, whatever, but I can't find the scandal in this. I'm a huge flip-flop fan, so I am admittedly biased....

That said, would I wear 'em to the White House? Um, probably not -- then again, this is an area where the dress standards for men are different than those for women... e.g. bare shoulders and decolletege are not issues for men. More precisely, would I wear flip-flops with The Suit That Can Cut Butter? Probably not, but you never know. In any case, better flip-flops than sneakers, and I wear 'em practically everywhere without a thought.

But what if I happened across B16 in Cologne at WYD in the middle of a field? Well, the exigencies would call for something different. I sure as hell wouldn't sleep in my Cut Butter Suit or bring it anywhere near a muddy campground.... Let's be sensible, people!

Regardless, I wouldn't be there to make a fashion expression for the Pope -- that's why we have Liebe Georg.

-30-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home