Sunday, February 26, 2006

Remember, Man.....

OK, so Ash Wednesday's coming up and I still have to tell you my Ash Wednesday story. As I find the time between now and then, I promise that I'll jot it down if able....

In the meantime, there is a question I have for everyone.

I don't usually do the spirituality kaffeeklatsch because these are external forum pages. However, I'm always intrigued by the things people do for Lent. Some of us take on the same rituals every year, because they're tried, true and present a real opportunity for purification and penitence. Others among us change things up, because a new challenge is always exhilarating. Regardless, it's always something inspiring.

So I ask you, my dear Loggiaheads: What are you doing this Lent? There might be some among us who don't exactly know what they're giving up or, better still, what they're trying to do more of to engage the spirit of these days so that we may better celebrate the Easter mysteries in all their joy, so this'd be a nice exchange to get all of us prepped for Ash Wednesday and the coming weeks of the desert experience, or at least as much of that as we're able to partake in.

Now, it's been a month since I've opened a combox -- it was jarring to witness a thread on reactions to Deus caritas est turn into a brawl -- so I do this reluctantly. But this is something important for all of us as Catholics, and maybe the ideas and plans we see here might help some of us out.

Ground rules: in keeping with the spirit of Lent -- which is, for those who have forgotten, dying to self -- no one-upsmanship, please. And absolutely no fighting or judging of what others have to say.

And they're off......

-30-

8 Comments:

Blogger Thomas Peters said...

Inspired by my pastor who warned against turning lent into the "Catholic dieting season", (not that I need to diet - if anyone's seen my picture, but I do like staying healthy) I've decided in addition to giving up all chocolate, sweets and soft drinks (my main sustenance during paper writing and my 16 hours a day spent in front of computers) - to add some positive things to my list of resolutions like renewing my efforts to attend daily Mass and maybe saying more rosaries like I swore to do on becoming a 3rd degree Knight of Columbus.

Yes, that was one sentence.

26/2/06 21:43  
Blogger Talmida said...

Work on my Hebrew every single day: translate the book of Genesis from beginning to end (or as far as I get).

Sit down and read the Gospels and Acts because I've been ignoring the NT lately.

Restrict my eating.

27/2/06 09:11  
Blogger Flambeaux said...

1. Start praying the Breviary again.
2. Anything I spend eating out, the same amount gets sent to Hiefer International.
3. I really like Hibernalis' idea, so jumping out of bed with the alarm clock is now on the list.
4. Clean up my diet -- not food restriction per se, just better food and more of it home cooked.
5. Meet with my Spiritual Director more regularly.

27/2/06 11:08  
Blogger Vitaly Kartsev said...

I really like Hibernalis' idea of getting up right away—I will definitely try that. I also plan on keeping the traditional days of fasting and abstinence. I had thought about trying to pray the Office every day--taking Hibernalis' suggestion will definitely help with that! :-)

27/2/06 12:55  
Blogger R. M. A. J. Romero said...

I too am setting aside wine and strong drink for this season, as well as being faithful to the Liturgy of the Hours every hour, every day (I usually only say Lauds and Vespers. Compline is as foreign a concept to me as haggas).

27/2/06 13:13  
Blogger Claude Muncey said...

I will, as I have before, give up coffee for Lent. Not that it is that great a sacrifice (Starbucks is not particularly worried about it) but that it seems the perfect small thing to keep tugging on me and reminding me that it is Lent, and I should be getting on with the business of that.

In fine Benedictine tradition I am working through a book for Lent: Bonhoeffer's The Cost of Discipleship. I may even post some of my reactions.

27/2/06 13:32  
Blogger BarbaraKB said...

No more late night T.V. watching.

Too much media in my life lately.

27/2/06 15:30  
Blogger Bill White said...

I'm spending some time with a penitential psalm each day.

4/3/06 17:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home